Okay, Editor, do you mind if I reference my last letter for a quick second? Thanks. Well, remember that paper that I was dreading? I finished! Yesterday, I spend an honest seven or eight hours working on it, but I finally finished it. Okay, so maybe it wasn't an "honest" seven or eight hours, since in that time I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, facebooking, twittering, formspringing, etc. So I may have been a little distracted. But the funny part is, it was generally easy to write. And the guy isn't even grading on content. He just checks that you covered three political parties, four issues for each party, and that it is in MLA format. Really? My dog could write that paper and get an A. If you're going to assign a term paper, at least grade it properly. Granted, my paper wasn't exactly a work of art. But that's because I know this guy doesn't give a shit. So there, that's my excuse. What's his?
Anyway, during my epic journey to a completed term paper, I came across lovely obstacles in my life brought to you by the wonderful world of Formspring. Cue dramatic music.. People these days seem to think it is perfectly fine to ask ridiculously inappropriate and overly personal questions just because it can be asked anonymously. It's like there's a voice in their heads saying "Haha, they won't know that it's me saying these things." Okay, there is truth to that statement. But does that justify your lack of character? I mean, websites such as formspring are meant to be peaceful and fun. I see many profiles that are fun to read and people ask great questions. But then there are some, such as my own, that are filled with questions and comments meant to upset the person.
Now, my usual reaction to such questions are simply to ignore them and not waste my time with such foolishness. However, I was bored and quite honestly, looking for something to distract me. So, I answered the questions in the way I thought would be best. For instance, someone asked why I didn't have any self respect. So, I told him/her that I actually did. My achievements have shown me what I am capable of and that, when I strive to be, I can really accomplish some things. Well, that turned into a bit of a fiasco. But I held my head high, and I tried to keep showing character.
Later in the night, another person wrote on the site and asked why I continued to answer those questions when I pride myself on being mature for my age. They said I shouldn't stoop to they're level. And then I realized how right that person is. If I pride myself on my character and how much I can overcome things, I shouldn't feed the fire. For a few hours, I feel like I was just looking for a chance to be bold and to hold strong. I gave that person their credit and thanked them for their input. That is the kind of thing I'm looking for on formpsring. People who either ask harmless questions, or people who are looking to better another person with their thoughts. That's a great person right there. Instead of lingering on the bad of another, try to better yourself and the people around you. That's how people can make a difference in the world. So, I tip my hat to you, formspringer. Thank you for your fantastic insight.
And so, Editor, I conclude today's letter saying only this: I am so thankful for those who test my character, and those looking to help better themselves and others. I think that's a good little piece of advice, don't you? Maybe you can put that in your column. I mean, though I am an amateur, I've got a little potential, you think?
Sincerely,
chrctrbld
No comments:
Post a Comment